We’ve reached another week, which means another Top 5! I LOVE sharing my knowledge of essential oils as you can read HERE and HERE. However, as excited as I am about them, I realized that to most people this is something very new and unfamiliar. Even though essential oils have been around for thousands of years (I’m talking biblical times) in the past twenty years they have gone from only hippies would use them to being mainstream. So, this week we are going to focus on the reasons to use them in the first place. Here it goes…
Top 5 Reasons To Use Essential Oils
1. Alternative To Conventional Medicine – This was my main reason to take the leap. I’d been researching essential oils for over a year, since before getting pregnant. Then after giving birth to my daughter the thought of polluting her newly formed body with medicine was just not an option. During that first year we went without any bouts of sickness however, on her first birthday it finally hit, we had a full on post nasal drip commonly known as a COLD, what???? That is when I finally put these Young Living essential oils to the test. We used Thieves, Lavender and Eucalyptus and were given specific instructions of how to use them on a baby/toddler. We waited patiently and within five days she was back to her regular healthy self. Did it take longer for her to heal? Absolutely, that is usually the case with any natural alternative options. However, I had such peace of mind knowing that the oils were working in conjunction with the body to build up her immune system without ever worrying about side effects. On that note, I always recommend reading and applying the safety guidelines for these essential oils which you can read about HERE. Additionally, we have used Young Living essential oils for allergies, headache, upset stomach, cuts/bruises, in-grown nails, sinus congestion, diaper rash, the list goes on and on. Now these conditions are fairly common, however, Young Living essential oils have been used in the treatment of several other conditions such as ADHD, autism, depression, Parkinson’s, PTSD and even cancer.
2. Physiological and Psychological – Now this is interesting…when essential oils are inhaled the molecules hit the brain which can instantly change your emotional state – your thought process, your mood, your attitude. As I am not an expert when it comes to the science behind it all, below is a graphic that explains how it works. I have used Joy, Peace & Calming and Oola Balance with great success when needing to boost or adjust my emotional state, alleviate stress or reduce anxiety.
3. Skin Rejuvenation – Don’t we all want glowing, healthy skin?! We have to remember that as we age so does our skin, it’s a fact that wrinkles will inevitably happen. However, there are several other skin conditions that we may come across as well, such as eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, acne, sun damage, even skin cancer. For my dry, olive skin type, in the last ten years, I have encountered small bouts of acne, dry patches, broken capillaries on the cheeks and early on set rosacea from sun damage. I had tried literally every product on the market from conventional to organic brands which led me to Ava Anderson Non-Toxic, which is safe, effective with no harmful chemicals or toxins. Then when I started using Young Living essential oils and researched their healing benefits for the conditions listed above I was excited to put them to the test and incorporate them into my skin care regimen. I currently use Frankincense for the brown spots and sun damage, applying this topically neat (no carrier oil) before moisturizing. I then put a drop in my moisturizer before applying to my face. There has been a significant decrease in the color of the age spots, amazing results. I also use Purification for acne breakouts & itching, applying this topically neat (no carrier oil). The next morning the breakouts are gone and my face feels soft and smooth.
4. Pain Relief – From backaches, to broken bones, to sore joints, to headaches we have all experienced some form of physical pain. Personally, I had a spinal fusion when I was twelve years old due to scoliosis. My entire thoracic section of my spine is fused together with bars and wires. Due to this, my neck and lower back have to work over time to compensate for that area. Now my first line of defense when I feel aches and pain coming on is to exercise or walk, because for the body to stay fluid it needs to be stretched and moved, in addition to using cold packs to reduce the inflammation. My next line of defense is my pain cream made with Young Living essential oils!!! Let’s review the ingredients – 1/2 cup coconut oil, 15 drops of Valor, 10 drops of PanAway, 10 drops of Peppermint, 10 drops of Copaiba, then sometimes I’ll add Lavender or Stress Away. I apply to the areas of pain, then apply it to the soles of feet for the specific location of pain as seen in the Vita-Flex chart below. Not only do I sleep like a baby, I wake up feeling no pain and refreshed. This pain cream has worked so well for me that I have given it to family and friends and they too have seen results.
5. Household Cleaners & Repellents – When was the last time you looked at the ingredients list on the back of your glass cleaner? Laundry detergent? Hand soap? Bug repellent? Nine times out of ten the answer I get is NEVER! I encourage you right now to go under your sink, in your laundry room and anywhere you keep these items and scan through that ingredient list. Can you pronounce even one of the words listed other than water? Do you know what those big words mean? Most will likely be chemicals, irritants, carcinogens, essentially bad stuff that our bodies shouldn’t be exposed to. When I first did this, I basically threw away everything under my sink! Then when I got my oils from Young Living I figured out that the following oils could be used to make my own. The first oil is Thieves since this oil is a blend of several oils that are considered to have antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral and anti-infectious properties. This can be used for cleaners, wipes, soap & hand sanitizer. The next oil was Purification which is also a blend of oils that can neutralize odors, disinfect and soothe. This can be used in cleaners and bug repellent.
Are you ready to take the leap now? Hopefully my list has shown you how they can have an amazing, healthy impact on your life. If you’d like more information on Young Living and/or how to become a Distributor (discounted oils and shipping) click HERE.
Remember you design your days, so make each one count!
If you are new to essential oils what are the reasons that you would start using them? I’d love to hear your stories and feedback in the comments below.
Reference: Essential Oils Pocket Reference, Fifth Edition – May 2011 – Life Science Publishing
Disclaimer: The information shared with you is based on life experience, facts and research. As I am not a doctor, I advise you to consult with your physician when it comes to information listed above as it is not intended to diagnose, prevent or cure any sickness or disease. Additionally, I will not be held liable for any loss or damages. Thank you!