Here we are again, every week just gets better and better! Last week we started a new topic – Toxic Chemicals. Sounds so glamorous, right? Don’t let the name fool you, click HERE to read the facts and statistics that will shock you!!
This week its going to get even better. Go grab your face moisturizer or hand soap or deodorant or shampoo. Seriously, go get it right now!
Now, turn it over and read your ingredients. Scary, right? Can you even pronounce half of the ingredients that are listed? Well, on that note, let me take this time to help you decipher those words so you are FULLY AWARE of what you are using on a daily basis.
Top 5 Ingredients To Avoid
1. Fragrance – Good smelly stuff, right? I DON’T THINK SO!
- That word alone can encompass so much, it’s considered a “trade secret” in the beauty/cosmetic industry. By using this one word, companies can legally hide HUNDREDS of ingredients!
- You need to watch out for synthetic fragrance as most are carcinogenic. It’s a fact that 75% of the time that “fragrance” or “parfum” is listed PHTHALATES are being used, which is a chemical compound in the form of a plasticizer (think soft plastic, storage bags, food containers) and lubricant (mostly found in cosmetics).
2. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) – Check that shampoo immediately!!!
- It is derived from coconuts, how could that be bad? It is the manufacturing process that turns it into a known CARCINOGEN – environmental factors that lead to cancer, changing your cell’s DNA.
- SLES can be contaminated with 1,4 dioxane. You will never see 1,4 dioxane on a label, as companies are not required to list carcinogenic contaminants.
3. Parabens (Methyl, Propyl, Butyl, Ethyl) – Usually sneak in at the end of the ingredients list, still a BIG concern!
- These are PRESERVATIVES used in cosmetics and personal care products for decades to prevent bacteria growth.
- Linked to breast cancer, endocrine disruption, reproductive toxicity, and developmental defects.
- A California medical study of BPA and methylparaben combination turned healthy cells into cancer cells, and rendered Tamoxifen drug ineffective. Click HERE to read full article.
4. Aluminum – What??? In our personal care items??? Go check that deodorant and antiperspirant!!!!
- It is a NEUROTOXIN – causing damage to nerve tissue.
- Metals in the body are bioaccumulative, when absorbed into the skin over a long period of time can lead to major health issues.
- Linked to Alzheimer’s and other neurological diseases.
5. Synthetic Colors & Dyes – FD&C Blue 1, Green 3, Yellow 5 & 6, Red 33 – But it is such a pretty (TOXIC) color!!!
- We are talking PETROCHEMICAL CARCINOGENS – made from coal tar, which is a mixture of many chemicals, derived from petroleum.
- These colors may be contaminated with low levels of heavy metals and some are combined with aluminum substrate. As discussed above, aluminum compounds and many heavy metals are toxic to the brain.
- In the UK products with synthetic colors and dyes are required to have a warning label, however most manufacturers clean up their products, using only natural coloring, before distributing throughout the country.
This information should be taken seriously. You should be looking at every product in your home and checking for the ingredients listed above. You need to be very concerned about the toxic chemical burden that we are putting our bodies through on a DAILY basis. Think about it, even if health and wellness is not your top priority this information should still motivate you to make a step towards change!
Remember you design your days, so make each one count!
Do you read your ingredients? If so, which ingredient made you question a certain product and did you stop using it? I’d love to hear your stories and feedback in the comments below.
Reference: AANT – Did You Know? Brochure