Thankful for this new week, nothing like a clean slate to get those creative juices flowing!! Well, instead of my Top 5 lists of awesomeness, I’m going to branch out and share a great do-it-yourself project this week. I’ll be putting this one under “Health & Beauty” since a good, solid, no kids waking you up, spouse snoring, dreaming away sleep is not only healthy but also makes you feel beautiful! Plus your feet will be soft and smooth, always flip-flop ready! You guys out there will want to check this out too. Of course this project does involve my Young Living Essential Oils, love, love, love! So, let’s get to it!
Sweet Dreams Foot Salve
- Organic Coconut Oil – 1 cup
- Organic Shea Butter – 1/2 cup
- Young Living Essential Oils – 10 Drops Each Oil
- Glass Pyrex Bowl
- Double Boiler (Small Pot w/Glass Bowl)
- Small Glass Containers – 1 oz Each
- Labels & Printer – Avery Address Labels – 8160
How It’s Made:
1. Measure out the 1 cup Organic Coconut Oil & 1/2 cup Organic Shea Butter in the Glass Pyrex Bowl, both will most likely be in solid form. I use Whole Foods 365 Brand Organic Coconut Oil. I use REFINED because it has less of a coconut smell and is being applied topically. If I was going to ingest the coconut oil I would choose unrefined as this is in its purest form.
2. In a Small Pot boil about 1 inch of water. Once boiling, change temperature to lowest setting or simmer. Place Glass Pyrex Bowl filled with Organic Coconut Oil & Organic Shea Butter on top of the Small Pot and melt down both substances to a liquid form. This could take between 5-10 minutes. I found that it takes longer for the shea butter to melt.
3. Once both substances have melted, take the Glass Pyrex Bowl off the top of the Small Pot and set it aside to cool for about 20 minutes. After it has cooled, add the Young Living Essential Oils. I chose Lavender, Sacred Frankincense and Peace & Calming, which all promote relaxation, healing and rest.
4. After adding Young Living Essential Oils, stir to mix everything together then place the Glass Pyrex Bowl into the Freezer for 5 minutes or Fridge for 15 minutes. After allotted time, the liquid should be getting hard on the edges as if to form back into a solid again, but the center should be more like the consistency of a raw egg.
5. At this point take a fork and whisk the liquid, removing the harder pieces on the edges. A paste will be formed since the mixture is still cold. As it starts to warm up, it will take on a gel consistency. It is now ready to be put into the 1 oz. Glass Jars. I purchased these at The Container Store, my favorite organization store!!! You can also find them online to purchase in bulk.
6. To fill the 1 oz. Glass Jars I use a fork, as the mixture is easy to manipulate because it is more solid from just whisking. Make sure when filling the jars that all air bubbles are released, this will allow for more mixture to be used. Once filled, take a damp cloth and wipe excess off the rim and seal with lid.
7. Now it’s time to make these filled 1 oz. Glass Jars look pretty! The labels that I chose are the Avery Address Labels – 8160 which were purchased at Staples. The name, ingredients and directions for use have been typed onto the label. Before applying the labels make sure the outside of the jars are clean and dry, free of any oily residue.
8. Since I was giving these Sweet Dreams Foot Salves as gifts to some very special people in my life I added an extra touch, a verse card that tied around the lid. There are several other ways to decorate these from labels on the lid to ribbon around the jar.
Hopefully this DIY Surprise project will inspire you to make your own version! It was both easy and fun!
Remember you design your days, so make each one count!
What are some do-it-yourself health & beauty projects that have been successful for you? I’d love to hear your stories and feedback in the comments below.