First, what exactly do I mean by holistic health?? Alternative methods that take a whole body approach. Below is a list I have put together of my top five holistic health options.
1. Food – Whole/Raw/Fermented/Organic/Local – Our bodies depend on food. Everyday we have a choice of what we are going to fuel ourselves with. We can choose to eat processed, sugar-laden food that our body will react to in a tired and sluggish manner, affect our moods, cause weight gain, inflammation, skin disorders, the list goes on and on…. OR we can start our days with healthy proteins, good fats, fiber and natural sugars, such as fruits, veggies, smoothies, meats, eggs, nuts, just to name a few. Lisa Leake of 100 Days of Real Food wrote a great summary on this way of eating, to read about it click HERE. There have been several studies that show the harmful effects of sugar, artificial preservatives and additives used in our food today. Additionally, we all need to understand the negative effects of GMO’s (genetically modified organisms) that are being used in conventional produce, grains & meats. Click HERE to find out more about the Non-GMO movement. Now is the time to educate yourself to make the best food choices for your family.
2. Essential Oils – Now I could write a book on this one option! I LOVE essential oils! They have become the first line of defense for health issues with our whole family. If you are new to essential oils they are highly concentrated oils taken from plants, flowers, fruits, seeds, leaves and bark that are taken through a distillation process and bottled. We use 100% pure, therapeutic grade essential oils from Young Living, who uses the Seed to Seal process on ALL their oils. Click HERE to find out more info! In our house these oils have been used to remedy colds/coughs, areas of physical pain, allergies, cuts/scrapes, sleep, mental clarity, and much more. In the following weeks we will explore essential oils in more detail, talking about how they are made, different types, quality and most of all uses!
3. Chiropractic Care and Physical Therapy – Who wants an alternative method to back/neck/shoulder care without using drugs to stop the pain??? Oh, me, me, me!!! This option has been a lifesaver for our family. These doctors and therapists are trained to look for the root of the problem, not just at the symptom at hand. By working/adjusting parts of the body other areas of the body can be corrected. Not only that, they advise you on how to keep yourself feeling top-notch by providing additional techniques and exercises to do at home. Click HERE to find out more details and watch videos about chiropractic care. Now although this option is ideal for most pain management, if you are experiencing severe/debilitating pain please consult a physician immediately.
4. Homeopathic Medicine – Have you even heard of this term before?? Well if not, then today is your day! This type of medicine is specific to types of ailments and used as an alternative to over the counter medications. Click HERE to get all the details from the Society of Homeopaths. These types of medicines can be used on adults and children. We have used them to heal colds, fevers, sinus issues and keep them on hand for my daughter’s teething pain. Taken in tablet form and usually placed under the tongue, the medicine immediately enters the system to start the healing process. A brand that our family uses and is sold in health food stores and drugstores is Boiron. Before using these medications, I recommend contacting a Homeopath in your area for advise and guidance.
5. Exercise – I put this last as it is the hardest for me to do, but knowing it should really be at the top of the list! We were designed to move, no doubt about it. Exercise comes in so many forms – running, walking, biking, lifting weights, strength training, stretching, yoga, anything that causes our heart rate to go up and break a sweat! Sweating has been said to clean out the toxins from your system, who doesn’t want that?? Exercise also boosts energy, helps regulate moods and keeps your body looking good! In the next few weeks, I’ll be starting a new workout call PiYo by Chalene Johnson and writing about the results. If this is an area you struggle with too, right now make it a priority and dedicate 10 minutes a day (out of 24 hours) to do some form of exercise. Start small and move forward!!
Remember that you design your days, so make each one count!
What are some holistic health options that have worked for you and your family? I’d love to hear your stories and feedback in the comments below.
Disclaimer: The information shared with you is based on life experience, facts and research. As I am not a doctor, I advise you to consult with your physician when it comes to information listed above as it is not intended to diagnose, prevent or cure any sickness or disease. Additionally, I will not be held liable for any loss or damages. Thank you!